Friday 5 December 2014

Timed Make up Assessment

Wednesday 26th November- Make-up Artist: Me, Designer: Beth

As our brief was contemporary Elizabethan make up we felt with Beths deep skin tone we can really manipulate the situation and create something really different and contemporary however hold elements of the Elizabethan era. When studying the historical part of the era and how they would traditionally create there make up by coping Queen Elizabeth it was know to have pale white skin, which sometimes wouldn't be natural, either bleached or painted on. We decided when trying this on Beth we didn't want her face to be painted white as we wanted it to look natural on the skin and highlight her beautiful natural skin tone. During the time of experimenting with the designs we included gold into her natural foundation to create a glow to the skin which really highlighted her face. The reds and gold were colour represented from the era which Queen Elizabeth wore a lot of. The application of the make up was very contemporary as the contouring on the cheeks is very modern but the colour used is traditional Elizabethan. I blocked out her brows which were on her design because in the era they either would have very fair brows that you couldn't see them or completely gone. 

On the day me and Beth arrived to the assessment on time and was given 5-10 minutes to set up the work station. Beth came prepared with her foundation and a clean natural face ready for me to apply the make up. During creating the design everything went smoothly and I was taking my time to block the eyebrows out and create a flawless finish to the skin, when it got closer the end of the assessment I had to speed up a little bit as time was running short, however I managed to complete my whole design in 1 hour and 10 minutes. 

Before the assessment me and Beth starting working together early so we could get used to each others face, shape and applying the make up on each other. Once our final design was sorted we practised it a few time and sometimes each time just tweaking things to improve the design after we received feedback. We enjoyed getting feedback because in every way it helped improve our designs and work on our make up skills. I really enjoyed working to another students brief as it takes you out your comfort zone of just creating what you think you could do yourself. I really enjoyed working with Beth as together we had great communication skills and developed our ideas while in our practise sessions. Overall I feel this design went very well and everything on the day went to plan. After the make up we got a chance to take photos of our final design however the lighting and background was very dark as other people had white painted face. Therefore my photos didn't come out very good and I wasn't pleased with them as I felt it didn't portray my make up properly. I got advised if I didn't like the photos to go back and re shoot them so me and Beth waited for everyone to finish there photos and we look more. The second time round of taking photos I was so much happier with them as they came out clear, bright and in focus. 



Make up design Beth drew for me on the day of the assessment







Wednesday 3rd December- Designer: Me, Make-up Artist: Beth

This was the final design Beth created on me for the assessment. Prior to this me and Beth worked together to finalise my design. I started off with a completely different look and make up chart however when applied on me I felt it didn't work properly and didn't fit the brief as well. I ended up creating a few make up charts and we ended up taking elements from each design to create this final design. After many practise session and feedback I finalised my design to this. I felt exploring and developing the design really helped to finalise my idea, I think it really helps working with someone as they can give you feedback and see things in a different way and view. 

When swapping designs with Beth she straight away started on my design and we stayed behind a few days to perfect it before the assessment. On the day of the assessment I arrived early and starting cleansing my face and placed a towel on our station ready for when Beth came in, I also brought my design and instructions and taped them to the edge of the mirror ready.  When she arrived she set up the make up allocated for the design and started the make up when the assessor said okay. The make up went smoothly and Beth had plenty of time to create everything perfect and had time to spare to but my hair up in a quite beehive to complete the look, she completed the make up in around 1 hour and 10 minutes. I feel Beth worked really well to my design and I enjoyed instructing her how I wanted it to look and practising it and the same the other way round.

Before the assessment Beth received feedback about improving the brows which I felt on the day she did. I also received feedback about my design and which one would work the best. I feel my design contains elements of the Elizabethan era however in a contemporary way which is what the brief is based on. I think we did work to the brief well and both created a design of our own interpretations of a New Elizabethan make up. It was really good exploring the era and the types of make up they used and how it could be created into a modern look.   

Front look
Side look
Make up Face chart I created for Beth to look at on the day of the assessment 

No comments:

Post a Comment